The Leaflet is
St. John's Academy's school organ. It has been around
for some years reflecting the times, chronicling
the present and even predicting the future. It is,
by far, one of the oldest institutions we could
find in our Alma Mater. Over the years, it has never
failed to do its job - to record changes and observations
in the school, in the students, and also, in the
country. Below is a chronicle of events that will
help us gain more information about The Leaflet.
Pre-war era/the founding
years for SJA and the period of Commonwealth
Little is known of how the first Leaflet came to
be, who started it or who
were the first writers because of lack of records.
SJA was founded in 1930. Four
years later, it had its first closing exercise as
the school produced 5 seniors.
Because high school students were entrusted to write
the Leaflet, we could
presume that it already started its circulation
during this time.
II (the Japanese Occupation)
On December 8, 1941, the 4th graders were preparing
for their first Holy
Communion when war broke out and classes were ended.
In September of 1943,
SJA reopened to elementary graders in a new building
but classes were again
terminated. In May of the following year, SJA opened
again but the new building
was burned down at the Battle of Manila along with
all records, equipment and
books. This time, classes were housed at the back
of the old SJA building.
Year VI No.
I October, 1944
This was the first post-war issue of our school
organ, the last being in
October, 1941. The Leaflet had the same size as
the present one we have. To
give a quick glance, this was the first in a set
of issues that dealt more with war
news and correspondence. Back then, the student
population was small;
therefore, they knew each other thus, they wrote
articles about themselves. The
Spanish section proved our diversity in languages.
Year VI No.4
This was the first Leaflet to feature a Tagalog
Year VII No.
2 October, 1946
This was the first time the Leaflet contained a
picture. It was a sketch
done by a sixth grader, Pacita Sto. Domingo, depicting
her version of St.
Johnites back then in their green and white uniform.
Year VII No.
4 March, 1947
This was the first Leaflet to ever feature a poem.
It was entitled "To a
Departed Friend" probably for their schoolmates,
Lourdes Chuidian and Josefa
Sarayba, who left for the Great Beyond, for some
undisclosed reasons. It was
also the birth of the Literary Section.
Year VII No.
3 November, 1947
This time a poem was written for the Leaflet entitled
"To the Leaflet".
They had a new section, the Game Section and a column,
Letters to the Editor.
Also, they were the first to formally organize a
staff with the following positions:
. Pacita Abadilla
.. Al San
. Tita Chuidian
Yola Friedlander, Nenuca Singian, Ofelia dela Costa,
Baby Salcedo, Nene
Eleazar, Carmencita Salvosa, Carmelo Tolentino,
Leticia Santos, Isabel Sevilla,
Edith Lazo, Luis Manas, Ruben Mendez, Flor Nepomuceno
Year IX No.
1 September, 1948
With editor-in-chief Isabel Sevilla, the Leaflet
had a new format, as its
size changed. Although it still had the standard
4 pages, it had a lot of space
giving more room for articles. It was also the first
time St. John's had a
complete high school department. The staff positions
also changed as one
person was assigned per article.
Year IX No.
2 October, 1948
The Faculty Section for the Leaflet was first featured.
Classes", a news/chatter column for high school
students, proved the strength
of bonding that the students had.
Year IX No.
3 December, 1948
This was the first Leaflet to show a photograph.
One presented the First
Communicants at hat time while the other showed
Totoy Santos, the winner of
their popularity poll.
The printed issues of the Leaflet at this time were
not as good as the
previous ones. It remains a mystery how the Leaflet
became like this for it
resembled like a pamphlet. We could only be sure
that the writers tried their
best. After all, we believe that every Leaflet exemplifies
the same commitment
as shown in the other issues.
Back to the broad sheets, the Leaflet had recovered.
chief took turns in supervising its production.
All in all, the school year1952-
1953 had 2 editors-in-chief unlike before when only
one had that position all
throughout the year.
Year XIV No.
4 March, 1954
This is the first issue to include the Alumni Supplement
which could be
presumed to be the ancestor of the Alumni Leaflet.
No. 1 July, 1961
This is the Special Rizal Centenary Issue. It was
also the first time the
Leaflet used its seal - designed 4 years earlier
by Herman Lazo. Our seal, an
atom, represents a small thing that has a great
force. The Leaflet may be
compared to it - small pages of paper , yet it contains
the commitment, ardor
and zeal of the people who make and write them.
Although the seal was first
used in this issue, it was not until November of
1966 that it came into regular
No. 1 August, 1973
This is the advent of the small-sized Leaflet we
have today . With
Wilhelmina Tayag as editor-in-chief, the Leaflet
still had its edge. From the 4-6
pages of the large Leaflet, we now have an 8-12
One may readily observe that this year, the system
membership is slowly being changed. Before, the
Leaflet existed like a
journalism club with the same writers all the year
through. This time, however,
new people were introduced to write, giving ample
rest and time for the other
writers. A particular set of writers was assigned
to one issue.
The 22 plus writers/staff members for the Leaflet
were narrowed down to
Year LII No. 2 November,
One of the remarkable achievements of this batch
is their unique issue
of the Leaflet. It was once again brought back to
its broad sheet framework.
This particular issue may be comparable to big publications.
columns, comic strips and pictures.
Sadly though, it was the last
of its kind. It was found out later that the
lower years especially those in the elementary department
have a hard time
opening and holding the large issues so it was decided
that it retain its small